Gas leaking in to flue

Reaction score
Hi, we had our gas meter changed over a week ago and before commencing the engineer did a drop test which showed 10 bar drop so he called his gaffer who said it was ok to install the meter but to cap it.

There are only two items using gas in the house the boiler and hob which are both in the kitchen. There was a fire but the previous tenants had it removed and capped so they could plaster the hole and have a wall tv mounted.

I called a gas plumber and he came and isolated the hob by its valve and then tested, still dropping so did the same with boiler still dropping.

Anyway the cause was a leak somewhere in the pipes in walls behind kitchen units after checking for leaks on exposed joints and pipes.

There was no smell of gas at any time I should add.

The guy was an emergency call out guy with high rates so I got someone else in to fit a new supply to hob and boiler after cutting a hole in the wall where meter backs in to kitchen. Anyway he finished and drop tested and all was fine. He then turned on hob and boiler and when boiler fired up you can smell gas coming out of boiler. His gas leak detector was going crazy up near the flue.

Now he can isolate the gas valve to the boiler and no drop but turning on the valve causes another drop so the boiler is definately leaking up into the flue.

I am going to call the guy who does our annual services and looks after it to come out but does anyone have an idea what might be leaking? The boiler worked fine but gas was getting in to the flue

The boiler is an ideal logic combi 30 about 5 years old.

Reaction score
The boiler working fine and leaking gas is an odd combo, I would make sure your pressure gets checked since the gas company has made changes. you may have to install a regulator at your boiler to reduce the pressure. Hope it's something simple!

Ask a Question