Garage roof/support removal

Reaction score
Hi all. Just looking for some opinions before I spend money on a engineer.. i have a 24'x24' garage. From searching it looks like its a pole barn design. I want to put a 2 post car lift. I can fit the lift in there now but would not be able to lift a car high enough. Heres some pics maybe some1 can give me an idea on removing these supports can be removed and how difficult it may be.. thanks
20170202_184822.jpg
20170202_184725.jpg

Irv

Reaction score
Why are there no answers to this?
Anyway, no, these are engineered trusses. Removing the bottom part would allow the roof peak to settle, forcing the walls away from each other. All in all, a very bad thing.
New, different styled trusses (I think they're called scissor trusses) could be made to replace them, giving some more headroom. But perhaps not enough. See the engineer.

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't check in here often. All trusses are engineered so as you now know all modifications to them require a structural engineer to analyze them and specify the modifications. Scissor, raised tie, barrel vault, or vaulted parallel chord may be options for you. You will also most likely need to cut back the concrete and pour footings under the lift poles. The slab alone is most likely not strong enough to support the load you are going to place on it.

Ask a Question