Fridge Bladder?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So Im new here and looking for advice on a werid project. This will be long...

BACK STORY: Here in Arizona the ground drinking water in the summer months is the same temperature coming into the house, as the temperature that comes out of your hot water heater. The running joke is that when the cold water is "cold"...its winter. Anyways I have a custom water bowl for my three large dogs. As they walk up to it, it senses them and starts running a water fountain trickle. When they walk away it stops. It also has a drain where the water runs to a pump that when the water reaches a certain level, it pumps the waste water down the drain. Sorta like a fresh water sink for my pets. The issue I have is no matter where I put the bowl, piss warm water comes out in the summer months which is about 9 months out of the year.

RESEARCH DONE: I looked into was to chill the water. But most of the chillers that are worth anything are huge, cost a lot to run and cost almost $1k. Not happening! Plus they are a sorta on demand and will jot be able to chill it enough to make it feel cool.

MY PROJECT: So I purchased an old mini fridge. One of the tiny ones that are under 2' tall and have that small freezer section in the corner. It works great for only $20. And if my project works and the fridge dies. Because I know it works, Ill just get another new one for $60. What i want to do is remove a excess parts that are not needed and put a water "bag" in it with an inlet at the top to allow warm water into a hole in the top of the fridge and into the bag. And at the bottom have another outlet the cold water can go out and into my water bowl. I know once its cold the fridge will keep it cold, as as warm water slowing goes in, it will make the rest of the say 5gals warm, but at a slow rate.

QUESTIONS:
Will this work?
How to I control the flow into the back so that it doesn't overflow and bust in the fridge?
The water bowl has a solenoid that opens to let pressurized water in. But not sure if that will work for my bladder idea?

Wow...that was long. Anyone have thoughts or a better solution? I was going to use those soft camping collapsible water containers but that cannot handle pressure...so any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just thought of putting a bladder tank in it. But there is no way for water to go in and make it come out a different way as they only have one way in and one way out. And the smallest one's are 1gal which will fit instead but not make a lot of cold water. And the two gallon one makes a little more water, but dont think it will fit inside the fridge and still has the inlet and outlet issues.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Now I see this form was wasting my time. I have found the resolution on how to fix my problem. I have purchased a whole bunch of water reservoirs from refrigerators that are reasonably priced and I link them all together and I placed them inside the little refrigerator. So the warm water goes in fills up each one of the reservoirs one at a time and makes itself get cold. But nobody helped me hear no one chimed in I don't even know if anyone actually reads this stuff.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @Rgardner, sorry we couldn't help. Plenty of people will have read this, including myself, but I guess no-one knew the answer to this.

I'm glad you've got it fixed though, thanks for reporting back with the solution. Those little peltier powered fridges are great.

Ask a Question