Flooring Question

Reaction score
We pulled up the carpet in our living room and there is a wood floor(original floorboards to the house) and they are painted with a white primer. We want to temporarily have this be our floor for now, but I want to know how to clean it(there is carpet glue on the floor, some of the paint is starting to come off and the natural wood grain is showing, and there is some stains that soaked through to the floor(kids, pets, etc.) Would using very very diluted bleach and water be ok, wipe up any water left with a towel be ok to do? Not that worried about the paint/primer coming off because once cleaned I was thinking maybe a light sanding, water seal, a stain and some polyurethane finish until the next part can be done. Which is a plywood floor eventually to strengthen the room cuz if the dogs or kids run through the living room the whole room shakes. Then do the same treatment to the plywood until we can save money to get a better floor.

Reaction score
Dry mop or vacuum floor which would get rid of all surface dirt or debris. Mop the floor going with the grain. After mopping with water, buff the floor with a cloth.

Reaction score
To remove carpet glue marks, mineral spirits can be used, sometimes adhesive remover spirits have very unpleasant fumes, so its advisable to place a fan nearby window for air circulation during cleaning process. after applying the spirit, use plastic knife to scrape the glue leftovers.After leftovers are cleaned with knife, use rag or old cloth on properly clean the floor. You can mop the floor with water afterwards and let it dry.

Reaction score
I have had a Floating Bamboo Floor put over my concrete Floor, the person installing the floor did not leave a 1/4 gap on the perimeter. The floor are now installed and of course they have many seperations in every room. He is coming tomorrow to try to fix this problem. I am insisting that their be no gaps and it should look seamless. There was not glue involved in the installation which I think should have been. But not 6 rooms of my home have floating floors with wide gaps all over. What should I tell him to do tomorrow when he comes to fix this mess.

Reaction score
Not sure. It is a floating floor so it snaps together and he did not make it Perhaps you should buy him a router table so he can fix the tongue and grooves. Did you buy seconds? The perimeter gap is of course to allow for expansion. Normally, given a tight wall fit, the natural expansion would cause the flooring to bow upwards as it pushs into itself. Post a pic of the gaps?

Ask a Question