Flickering Lights

Reaction score
Why is it that every time our central unit kicks on, our lights flicker one time? I've not noticed this happen anywhere else?

Reaction score
Germany - Europe - Earth - Sol System - Milky Way
This is due to a voltage drop which in turn is caused by the surge current when your central unit is turned on. The reason for this is probably a poor wiring (high resistance) in your place. If you can, try to connect the central unit to the central mains port in your place using a separate cable where no other appliances are connected.
Get expert help if you're unfamiliar with mains power.

Reaction score
Harold Kapp, what on earth? Hook directly into the mains? That would be extremely dangerous!!!! A great way to get electrocuted or burn your house down. DO NOT do that. If all the lights in the house dim, it's probably the main power feed into the house is a little undersized. there's not a whole lot you can do, except put in a bigger meter/main and have the power company put in a bigger service. Lots of $$$. I would put a UPS on a PC if you have one, and good surge protectors on anything electronic. Many older homes have this problem.

Reaction score
The furnace / air handler should be on a separate / dedicated circuit / cable & circuit breaker , from every thing else . And the A/C condenser unit should be on a dedicated circuit too .

Forgive me , I did not understand if this is when heat starts or cooling ? Gas heat ? Electric heat ? Hear pump ?

God bless
wyr

Ask a Question