Firewood shelter

Reaction score
Country
United States
After moving into our new home and having a fire pit again (finally!) I knew I would need a place to store some firewood. I acquired a smaller metal 'rack' from the neighbor as he was getting rid of it, and I used it as it was for a while. But after finishing our new deck I decided to spruce up the old rack with a bit of flare and some reprieve from the rain and elements for the firewood; it was time for a roof.

It has been so long since I have had a forum to post projects to that I have gotten out of the habit of taking decent 'Before' photos. I will get better at this as I continue to post more, i'm sure.

I don't have a picture of it from before I started, but it just had nothing on it. Just the side bars and the bottom bars.
Snapchat-740382572.jpg

I had several pieces of stair truss laying around (where the initial idea for this 'roof' came from) that I was able to trim down and combine to form my roof-line, of sorts. A couple of 1/4" holes drilled through the "trusses" and firewood rack bars, 4" carriage bolts through each and I was good and sturdy.

This is all scrap wood, so it's not the prettiest thing, but it serves it's purpose and looks better than a plain rack, in my opinion.

Snapchat-1099341630.jpg

Snapchat-367695193.jpg

Snapchat-439060187.jpg

Snapchat-530926877.jpg

Snapchat-1575645299.jpg

And this is where it sits today! I have a much larger (but same exact style) firewood rack on the other side of the house to hold the majority of the wood, but I have this smaller one right out by the fire pit itself for easy access while having a fire.

20190627_205454.jpg

Easy. Fun. Used up scraps. Servers its purpose! :)

Ask a Question