Finishing my basement bathroom

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the process of finishing my basement and have come to the bathroom. I have read multiple websites and watched numerous videos, and they all seem to have a different way of doing things.

I need to know how to go about finishing this bathroom. Obviously, because this is the basement, I'm dealing with a concrete subfloor.

My question really has 2 parts

Part 1 - the shower:

I have covered the walls with backer board and covered all seems with mesh tape and thinset. I am planning on covering everything with redgaurd then tiling directly over that.

My issue is what I need to do with the base. Do I need to build a pan with mud, and liner and more mud? Or is a concrete base different? (All videos I have seen do this on a wood floor).

How do I cover the seems where the backer board meets the floor? Do I use mesh tape and thinset just like I did on the walls?

Any other steps I'm missing?

Also, my shower size is 58x44 so using a pre made pan, isn't really an option.

Part 2 - all other flooring:

I'm putting tile on the floor everywhere else in the bathroom. Can I just tile straight over the concrete? Do I need to put down a primer, or anti fracture membrane? Does anyone have suggestion on which membrane to use?

I apologize for the lengthy post, but any help would be much appreciated.

Ask a Question