Easy build bookcases.

Reaction score
I hate to see contiplas bookcases in lounges. More often or not the shelves tend to bend under the weight of the books.

But found a really quick way of building professional looking bookcases, with just basic tools and a few brackets in a short space of time.

These are in our hall.

P1000960.JPG

I made these in an afternoon with lengths of round edged hardwood windowsill timber.

Just had to round off the corners of the top shelf.
A piece of faced ply for the back.

Reaction score
It's pretty good bookshelf it so neat!

Thanks for the kind words.

I also made this shelf on the other side of the hall, which is over the cupboard that houses the electric meters and consumer unit.
I really need to give it a bit of a rub down and re-polish and it'll come up as good as new. It must have been there for twenty years and has otherwise worn well, as it tends to be a bit of a dumping ground and my wife's pot plants.

P1010948.JPG

Several years ago I also made this narrower shelf with a bit of the same wood I had spare, to support my two vintage jukebox wall boxes. They are extremely heavy but the shelf hasn't bent at all.

P1010951.JPG

Ask a Question