Dry wall sander on ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have covered up an Artex coated ceiling with new plasterboard and taped the joints and applied the joining compound. I spotted a lot of info on the Web about dry wall sanders and saw a deal on the aldi site for a scheppach sander. I had high hopes for using this as in general I had seen videos etc saying that very little dust is generated if using a vacuum attached to the sander. However, after attaching a Hetty vaccum cleaner and starting to sand I found dust being flung out all over the room and control of the sander reminding me of my days as a part time cleaner fighting to control a floor buffer. Has anyone experience similar problems using one of these?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I was facing the same issues while using a drywall sander on the wall. After experiencing the same I would recommend Using nothing more than a sponge and water, you can sand down your drywall without the production of dust.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thanks for the reply. I am now sealing the ceiling ready for painting but it has taken me ages to do. I have used both wet and dry sanding but kept finding the finish did not look flat so had to keep applying more filler then sanding again. Although it did never look nice and smooth it does look good after a couple of coats of sealant

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I’ve done them with a Porter Cable 7800, but IDK how well the cheaper sander would work.
Looking at the reviews for the Wen, one complaint people had was the dust collection. Couple people said the extraction holes were too small, and prone to clog up. That issue would certainly be exacerbated when sanding popcorn.

Ask a Question