Doubled Beams in Basement

Reaction score
I am in the process of purchasing a 2006, 2400sqft, two story home. I have a conundrum. The length of the unfinished basement has exposed support beams. However, the previous homeowner has doubled the support beams on one side of the basement and there is a pile of more support beams on the floor (see attached). As a back story, the couple who owned the home divorced, the home transferred to the wife for $1 and she wants out of it. The home inspector could not give an answer why they would do this...and neither can the homeowner. No mention of possible construction or renovation on the above floors, no mention (or visual inspection) of sagging...I just don't get it...why would someone double the amount of support beams in the basement, there just HAS to be a reason, right? Any thoughts? Should I have an engineer come out to inspect the home? Thanks!

Attachments

Ask a Question