CSST and Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is my understanding that CSST used to connect a furnace or a gas hot water heater to the main black gas pipe should be bonded to protect against lightning strikes causing arcing that can cause the CSST to be compromised and cause a fire.

I read the following:
" While the old method for bonding CSST required a connection at the main electric panel, this is no longer required by the national fuel gas code. The current Fuel Gas Code requires CSST to be bonded anywhere on the electrical service grounding electrode system. That means that the bonding conductor for CSST can be connected to the metallic water piping coming into the home, a ground rod at the exterior, or anywhere else on the service grounding electrode system. This change makes it much easier to properly bond CSST."

My home has this CSST flexible connector with bonding clamps that are connected at the CSST brass nut with a UL 467 clamp and 6 gauge wire that is then clamped to the main cold water copper pipe coming into the home. Are copper water pipes considered "metallic water piping"? If so then... am I correct in assuming that my setup is properly protected?
I can send pictures if clarification is needed.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yes, your copper water pipes are a bonding path to ground. Leave as is. Some people (of their own initiative) go overboard with bonding their gas pipes and end up grounding the supply side of the dielectric union and cancel the utility's cathodic protection. If you ground the stainless flex with ground clamps to the closest copper water pipe, your fine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, your copper water pipes are a bonding path to ground. Leave as is. Some people (of their own initiative) go overboard with bonding their gas pipes and end up grounding the supply side of the dielectric union and cancel the utility's cathodic protection. If you ground the stainless flex with ground clamps to the closest copper water pipe, your fine.
Thanks I appreciate the info.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the bonding conductor for CSST can be connected to the metallic water piping coming into the home
Yes, your copper water pipes are a bonding path to ground.
Wow - absolutely not allowed here.

Main bonding must be connected to the electrical installation earth - either the incoming supply earth or a local earth rod if your supply is unearthed.

In fact, incoming metal water pipes must also be bonded, and the use of them as an earth has been forbidden for a looooonnnnnggggg time.

Ask a Question