Could anybody help me with my bathroom tap please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am new to the forum and I have very little DIY knowledge (although I am trying to learn). I have a problem with my hot bathroom tap which for many months now has not been working correctly, there is only a trickle of water coming out. I have managed before to remove the nut or washer (I'm not sure what it is called) but the tap head is stuck in the body of the tap and will not budge no matter how much force I use. I would be extremely grateful to anyone who can advise me on what I can do to fix the issue and have my hot water tap back in action.

I have attached a photograph which shows the tap. I know that the tap needs a good clean but as it has not been working I have not been using it. I should also say that the problem started with the tap leaking at night time which was very annoying so I tried to remove the tap head to see if the washer needed replacing ( I think that is what it is called) however as I said the tap head is stuck and won't come off for some reason, so I bought some thread to put around the tap which helped a little but now there is only a trickle of water coming from the tap.

Im not sure if I have explained this very well but thank you all in advance.
tempImage0FE1DL.jpg

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum and I have very little DIY knowledge (although I am trying to learn). I have a problem with my hot bathroom tap which for many months now has not been working correctly, there is only a trickle of water coming out. I have managed before to remove the nut or washer (I'm not sure what it is called) but the tap head is stuck in the body of the tap and will not budge no matter how much force I use. I would be extremely grateful to anyone who can advise me on what I can do to fix the issue and have my hot water tap back in action.

I have attached a photograph which shows the tap. I know that the tap needs a good clean but as it has not been working I have not been using it. I should also say that the problem started with the tap leaking at night time which was very annoying so I tried to remove the tap head to see if the washer needed replacing ( I think that is what it is called) however as I said the tap head is stuck and won't come off for some reason, so I bought some thread to put around the tap which helped a little but now there is only a trickle of water coming from the tap.

Im not sure if I have explained this very well but thank you all in advance.View attachment 4139
The washer part inside is not moving when tap turns on it has a Cork screw type thread which has to be aligned with top part or a sir clip has broken tap revivers won't fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To remove the tap top from the body, there are two things that might help:

Firstly, if you have a a hefty adjustable spanner and can find a length of pipe large enough in diameter to slip over the handle of the spanner, (EG: a 2ft length of scaffold pipe), make sure the spanner is tightened to the hexagon, get someone to hold the tap body firmly so that it won't twist, slip the pipe over the adjustable spanner handle to give you some extra leverage, and with luck, it might loosen it.

Secondly, if that doesn't free the top section from the body, you could use a blowtorch turned down to a low flame and heat the tap body up, which will cause it to expand. Then get your 'assistant' to once more firmly hold the tap body (with a towel, because the top will of course be hot), then try again with the spanner and pipe extension.

It's worth a try because if you can't get the top section off, the only realistic option would be a pair of new taps, which would be quite expensive if you have to employ a plumber to do it.

(It's important to not let the tap body twist or that could risk cracking the basin).

Hope that might help a bit.

Good luck with it.

David.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Remove the teflon first and see if the threads of this faucet have corroded or have been stripped. Stripped threads will make it hard for the washer and tap to properly install/ lock in together that causing leaking. If you see any corrosion or stripped threads, repair it out first, I usually use Rotary Thread kit to straighten out the threads. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sometimes, the reason for leaking from the tap is a high level of water pressure. It can release the middle plastic ring.

Ask a Question