Connect New Wire To Old For Outdoor Power

Reaction score
Adding Power Outside From Old Wiring
I'd like to have power supplied to my backyard, using the existing wires, drill through the wall/brick, connecting outdoor Romex wiring, using a weatherproof outlet outside, and finally add a light fixture from the newly installed outlet wiring. My concerns are that the wiring in our home has no ground, how would I connect the Romex wire? Any other advice or suggestions would be highly appreciated, I thank you in advance.
20151211_103909.jpg

Reaction score
I would suggest you installing a GFCI receptacle.
You will need to ring out which wires are your hot conductor black wire and your neutral white wire. Next by installing a
GFCI receptacle it will providing protection to the devices on the new circuit without a ground . GFCI receptacle will operate on both grounded and ungrounded circuits to provide safety without a ground.
If a ungrounded GFCI is used, that receptacle will need to be marked as Ungrounded. That is for future
electrical workers that may encounter you additional ungrounded extension to the older circuit.

The box does seem to have the old BX cable inside it with a metal jacket. You could ring that out to see if it has a solid ground back to the panel. Older BX jackets were used as panel grounds years ago and later codes required a separate
ground wire. Check it out.

Good Luck with your project.

Larry

Reaction score
Thank you Larry. I appreciate your response. This is the receptacle I purchased. Would this be appropriate? Also, when connecting the new wire to the GFCI, I will be able to connect the ground to the GFCI, but what do I do with the new ground wire when connecting to the old wiring? Lastly, how do I go about ringing out the old box? Electrical work is all new to me, and I'm learning as I go and appreciative your shared knowledge.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ask a Question