Burned out wire connectors propane furnace circuit board

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys and gals. Thanks in advance.

The other day my thermostat lost power foe the first time since we bought the house.

I traced rhe wiring all the way back to the furnace(propane) circuit board/panel area.

While looking around I saw two things.. a rat's nest in the enclosure... and a 16 gauge wire hanging down. Upon grabbing it.. I learned quickly it was still live..

I could t remove this little black piece that the fallen wire and its companion wire fit into.. but I have pics

I could very easily replace rhe old connectors.. just wondering if I am ope ING the door to a repeat.. a d possibly a fire

Then I noticed the hard plastic semi translucent connector had charred/melted.. theocsrion

Reaction score
Country
Canada
First of all, if you are referring a real rodent nest, clean out all that stuff...it is combustible. Go to your hardware store, get new crimp on terminal/connectors (as you call "translucent"), cut the charred wire back to fresh/good wire, re-crimp new ends to suit, reconnect to original points on your circuit board, gas valve, high limits, etc.....

Now, ensure that when the furnace starts, your draft motor is running properly. If it's a direct vent (AKA atmospheric venting) furance, ensure you have no back-draft. If the furnace has been tampered with in the past and incorrectly re-assembled, combustion gases can be drawn down the vent hood and potentially overheat the control compartment....and produce dangerous CO gases in the house.

Either way, it appears your getting excessive heat in the control compartment, and THAT should not happen. Naturally, its going to get warm in there as it's adjacent to the heat exchanger, but it shouldn't get hot enough to burn wiring.

Ask a Question