compacting sub-base for artificial turf installation

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

I am installing artificial grass in my backyard. 6 weeks ago, I filled the area with base rocks to form the sub-base (3" depth). Then vacation and work got in the way and I couldn't continue the work. Now I am ready to put the leveling sand on top (1" depth). Given the sub-base was sitting there for 6 weeks and there was a bit of rain during that time, does it still need to be compacted with a plate vibrator? I am wondering whether the sub-base has settled on its own by now.

I don't have a plate vibrator and going to rent one, plus renting a truck to bring it home is a big hassle. If I can avoid it, it's a big plus.

Thank you in advance for your input

Reaction score
Country
Canada
In my experience pouring concrete (years ago), if the base has settled for 6 weeks or so, I'd say it's ok. When you say "base rocks", do you mean 3/4" sanded road gravel (NOT WASHED)?

Reaction score
Country
United States
In my experience pouring concrete (years ago), if the base has settled for 6 weeks or so, I'd say it's ok. When you say "base rocks", do you mean 3/4" sanded road gravel (NOT WASHED)?
Thanks for your reply AC Power. I purchased "recycled baserocks" which is crushed concrete (about 3/4" size). It has the small "rocks" but also mixed w/ a good amount of the concrete "sand". It looks pretty compacted to me except for the loose rocks on the surface.

Ask a Question