Cold and drafts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone.
So I was looking at getting some storm guard upvc gasket to replace the old one. Over time it looks like it has compressed but not sure. The reason I'm not sure is because I can see a gap in the gasket when the door is closed. So my question is if it's compressed surely there would be no gap? And secondly would you get a thicker one than the one in there already to bridge the gap or should you always get the same spec as the one your removing?
Also one final thing. - the lower kitchen units in my house let in freezing cold air when you open them... Of course the one under the sink has the drain pipe leaving the house but why are the all freezing behind?... You can feel the cold breeze when you open them. You can just about see under the skirting around the kitchen and it seems like the previous owner has installed them to cover exposing brick.... Wild.... Really hope you can help me in both scenarios Thankyou

Reaction score
"General observation."

The problem with the lower kitchen units is that they are often installed on bare floorboards, so air can come up through them or from under the skirting boards. Houses are built with cavity walls, so any breach in the inner wall will let air in. You could put a bead of silicone along the bottom of the pelmet under the units (if there is one) between it and the floor. But that won't stop all the draught as it can get in under the drawers.
Where your sink waste, washing machine and dishwasher drain pipes go out through the wall, you could put some silicone around them inside the kitchen, not a lot of point doin it to the outside wall as a lot of the air will be coming in up through the cavity.

The easiest solution, is to just turn the central heating's naffin' thermostat up a bit. That's what my wife does.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
uPVC gasket .... surprisingly there are something of the order of 20 different shapes/styles and they all crush and deform permanently. A new gasket of the same shape/style/size will do the job for you. I did some of ours a couple of years ago and, on looking for replacement gasket, one supplier sent me a sample bag of all the profiles he stocked. I then sent back the one that fit and ordered the right length.

Now comes the apology, I can't remember or find the supplier's name!

Colin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can just about see under the skirting around the kitchen and it seems like the previous owner has installed them to cover exposing brick.... Wild....
That's pretty normal - walls often don't get plastered right down to the floor, or if someone has lifted boards it may have got damaged. Seeing a little bit of brick at the bottom is nothing to be concerned about.

Ask a Question