Can't stop taps turning

Reaction score
Just fitted 2 basin taps (Wickes basic type). I put the 'anti-turn' washers between the tap bodies and the basin, but no washers on the underside of the basin. This was as instructions on the package. The tap bodies turn. I'm nervous at over-tightening the nuts for fear of cracking the sink, although my tap spanner only has a short handle so I don't suppose I can get too much purchase on it.
The old taps had plastic washers on the underside above the nut; should I re-use these? Any other ideas?
Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
This is a very common problem now mainly through people using flexes to connect the taps.

If I was you I would fit the plastic washers between the basin and the tap nut especially if the tap nuts are brass. It is never a good idea to tighten 2 inflexible things together (when one of them is reasonably fragile ) without a flexible washer in-between.

If fitting a plastic washer doesn't work I would get rid of the top washers and use silicone under the tap and packed around where the thread goes through the basin then fit the plastic washer underneath the basin and tighten firmly then let the silicone set before use.

Pete

Reaction score
thin rubber washers (seals) are normally provided with taps these would go onto the thread prior to passing through the sink hole, when tightening the rubber compresses and the taps shouldnt swivel

Ask a Question