Can't remove aerator from tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

See attached photos. I believe this is a screw-on aerator (Can see a thin line which I believe to be the aerator..?), but I cannot get it off.

I've tried soaking in vinegar overnight, pliers, etc. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi,

See attached photos. I believe this is a screw-on aerator (Can see a thin line which I believe to be the aerator..?), but I cannot get it off.

Thanks
It doesn’t look like the removable type. If it’s limescale that’s the problem then use a Limey from Lakeland as the are made for this type of tap and work well.

Reaction score
If that thin line goes all the way round it shd mean the aerator is removable. Suggest overnight soak in WD40 plus rapidly alternating application of heat and cold. Rapid short hard twisting clockwise and counterclockwise may also help.

Reaction score
I am totally unfamiliar with that type of faucet but it’s a fair bet that at one time it came apart at that joint. However, time and corrosion may have made that joint stronger than the faucet itself. I don’t know if that plastic star is screwed into the cap but you could make a quick spanner with a couple of small screw drivers and a pair of pliers. If it doesn’t unscrew you may have a new faucet in your future.

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks
Hot water expands metal - my usual go-to solution. Maybe running hot water and then using the vinegar would work for you.

Ask a Question