Cabinet shelf question

Reaction score
My husband and I just recently purchased an older model home with outdated kitchen cabinets. We don't want the expense of replacing right away so are trying to make the best of them. The shelves had been covered in contact paper for some years, I suspect. Before I got the chance to stop it, some of our help tried removing the paper. On some of the shelves it peeled off the finish of the chipboard bottom shelves. Obviously contact paper will not stick to them now, nor will paint smooth it down. I need some ideas about what to use to cover this mess. Anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
It sounds like you are looking for a semi permanent solution in the hopes of replacing the cabinets in the future, if so:

I suggest buying a cheap piece of paneling or thin plywood and cutting it to fit on top of the chipboard. The backside of the paneling is usually smooth and can be painted or will take a new layer of shelf paper. You can either glue it down if you want a permanent surface or leave it loose. Alternatively vinyl peel and stick tiles might be an option as they are easy to install and cut to the right size.

Reaction score
Scrap wood from a home improvement store in the size you need would be the easiest fix. I'd then fix it up anyway you want it.

Ask a Question