Building a storage loft

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am new here and hoping to get some advice and guidance on a loft I want to build.
I have a large room that is 14' wide, 40' deep, 16' ceiling. My goal is to build a loft over part of this (about half).
Here is what I am considering -
14' joists (2 x 10) on 16" centers, attached to 2 x 10 ledgers with hanger brackets, ledgers supported by 8' tall 2 x 10 "posts" lag bolted to the building support posts, then covered with 3/4" OSB

I feel confident that the 2 x 10 joist is sufficient for the 14' span...my concern is making sure my ledgers are supported well enough. I plan to lag bolt the ledgers to the existing wall structure as well as bolting down the 2 x 10's...AND I am concerned that my 2 x 10's may not offer enough support as posts.
One variable I am not sure about is how the building is constructed. The room I am working with is all drywalled and I haven't gone in yet with a stud finder and tape measure to map it all out. I am assuming it's post frame construction.
Thanks
Chris

Ask a Question