Building a storage area in back of garage

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. Before I start on this project, wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to approach? I am planning on building a storage area in the back of my garage to store some relatively light items, like lawn chairs, beach items, garden equipment and the like. I live in a townhome community, and the rules are I can't have anything buildt in the garage that is weight bearing on what is there in the garage. My thought was to sister a support on the four corners of where the shelf would be, and maybe add a fifth in the middle against the back wall. So what should I use? 2 x 4's for the vertical supports? Or should I use a 4 x 4? Should it be pressure treated wood, or is regular fine? Use 2 x 4's for horizontal weight bearing? And then thinking having 1 x 4 slats resting horizontally at the top that things would get placed on for storage. Is this a good plan? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

You can see the actual garage in the picture, and the red line represents where the shelf would begin, going back to the back of the garage, to give an idea of size and scope.

IMG_1257edit.jpg
IMG_1257edit.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, to be honest 3 x 2 pressure treated should be sufficient for the sub frame. Be sure to add diagonal cross supports to strengthen the load bearing structure. I’m from the uk so I’m unsure what osb board is called in the states, but google will show you. I think that would be excellent for the fascia for the sub frame. Cheeeers

Reaction score
I have a similar one in my 2-car garage. Ends are tied into the wall studs, but I have a 6/6 in the middle supporting it. Used 4 X 8 plywood for the decking. Great storage area for all sorts of stuff, built a workbench on one side with overhead lighting. Make sure the support beam clears your head by a couple inches so you don't conk yourself walking underneath. In your case, I'd probably use 4/4's notched on each side and a 2/6 for the front/back span, tag those into the existing strips. Use 2/3's front to back 16 or 24 centers, 3/4" plywood up top. If they will allow you to do it, I'd just shoot the rear support with a Ramset gun into the blocks, but as a precaution you could repeat the 4/4 in the back.

Shelf.jpg

Ask a Question