Build Log: My Underground Shop

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm creating a rather weird underground shop for my business and I'll be posting up a few questions in the days to come.

It's a slightly skewed rectangular box of a room build inside of sandstone from what we have been able to deduce. There are two rooms; the primary area which you walk into and the secondary area as a back-area. As it is basically a pit with a building built ontop of it, the only option for natural light comes from some small windows on a single wall but light has been blocked by extensions on the building.

The room was renovated to be a kitchen quite a while ago and it's not a bad setup for a kitchen. Benches around all walls, huge walk-in refrigerator, plenty of space for shelving units, deep fryer, grill, center bench with built in refrigerators and UHC. Naturally, the entire room has been tiled floor and wall to ceiling. The ceiling itself is just ... rock? I'll have to get a photo tbh. There is no lockable doorway into the area either as it's apart of another business, so we'll have to figure something out for that.

The back area is just the walk-in fridge plus a corridor around the side of it that leads to an under-the-stairs area. The stairs themselves lead to nowhere; straight up into the roof. Originally the business would have used this for whatever reason but in the buildings current iteration, it's just wasted space as access is on the opposite side of the building (this suits me fine though). It has given us a great space to create a dark room and light box completely separated by concrete/rock. Opposite the stairs to nowhere and infront of the walk-in is an empty area that would be perfect for a stock prep bench and mini-office for myself.

A little list of what I'll have to do in the coming weeks:
  • Completely strip all kitchen fittings, cap all plumbing, remove existing reverse cycle airconditioning, bin all the junk that's accumulated over six years, bleach/clean the entire space.
  • With a blank slate; cover and/or remove the tiles on the wall with something that won't reduce space in the business.
  • Lay a leveling compound and/or concrete the floor lightly, install floor boards.
  • Find a durable enough underlay that won't foster mold
  • A little secret addition to the decor of the room, which will take a while time to build properly i think, but ultimately set the mood perfectly.
  • Strip all the lighting and install all new stuff
  • Bits and bobs
  • Build a door frame and install a security door to enter the premise.
  • There's a corridor between where I want the door and where the main room is. I need to think of something to do with this space.
  • Build a custom bar to serve people at, with built-in storage underneath for stock.
  • Devise solution for displaying stock. I don't want a glass top bar but I need to have stock on display...
  • Custom LED lighting for bar and around room.
  • Wire-up a bunch of TV's and gaming consoles, shove a bunch of lounges in there or build some sort of seating arrangement.
There's probably more. I'll be uploading pics/vids later on :)

Just want somewhere to chronicle my experience. Thanks for reading!

Ask a Question