Brass Keeps Tarnishing

Discussion in 'Painting and Decorating' started by ggbsk, Jun 20, 2017.

1. ggbsk

ggbsk

I am restoring and cleaning a brass plated bed. It was very tarnished when I started. i am doing one side and then the other. i cleaned one side of the head of the bed. The next day, the part I cleaned was half as bright as when I finished. How can I keep it from tarnishing more - at least until i finish? It will almost be like starting again from scratch.

Thanks
    GB

ggbsk, Jun 20, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. ggbsk

Ian Administrator

Are you using something like "Brasso" to polish it? Even without a protective coating, that's fairly quick to tarnish.

You many want to give it a lacquer coat afterwards. I recently polished our doorhandles and window fittings, as some were starting to tarnish, once they were polished with Brasso I went over with a few coats of "Rustins Clear Metal Lacquer" - I'd expect this to last a good number of years.

Ian, Jun 20, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. ggbsk

ggbsk

I used Barkeepers Friend to clean it. It worked better than anything else I tried. The problem is that it tarnished before I even finished doing the other side so I could not put a protective coat on.

ggbsk, Jun 20, 2017
  4. ggbsk

TedO

I agree with Ian. Spray on lacquer as soon as you have finished polishing. Clean it good first and do small sections of your bed at a time. Spraying several thin coats work better
    than one heavy one. You shouldn't have to do that again for several years.

TedO, Jun 22, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question