Bathroom Extractor duct length

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Recently moved to a neglected house, so this is the first of many (many, many) posts!

The En Suite is about 18 months old, and incredibly doesn't have *any* extraction, leading to all the sorts of issues you'd imagine..

I am looking to fit an inline extractor, near to the shower cubicle, but the issue is that where the shower is located is a good few meters from any logical place to place outlet vent/grille.. Worse still, the nearest soffit/facia is over a single story glass roof extension, so its not going to be straight forward to get a ladder there.

So the real questions are :

- Any recommendations where to put the intake grille? Directly over the shower cubicle?
- Recommended maximum duct length seems to be 1.5m. If I used rigid ducting (soil pipe?) rather than the flexi stuff, how much more could I get away with?
- If i went with a Radial extractor fan, and rigid ducting, how far could i route the ducting without seeing too much performance drop off?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
I have the intake in my shower directly in the shower stall. Been there for 30+ years with a couple of changes and no issues. Works fine. I can't speak to the run length although I recall seeing booster fans if you got to go a long way. One suggestion if you care about loudness. I replaced the fan a year or so ago with a remodel and after looking at all the brands, aside from anything exotic, Panasonic fans were the quietest for any given price range. At least that was my experience

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Bob!I was assuming over the shower would be fine, but just wanted to check I wasn't missing anything...
Good idea about a second fan... fit one, see how it goes, fit a second if needed!
Cheers,
Chris

Reaction score
Country
United States
The diameter of the duct, and whether it's flexible or hard, the length of duct can be used (smooth inner surface). This is how a typical ducted fan works: It can move about 6 metre of ducting.

Ask a Question