Bathroom extractor - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya
builder put bathroom extractor venting directly into my victorian wooden loft, in violation of building controls. this is now being fixed. however the builder wants to vent through the loft into a flexible pipe that travels 1.2 meters and then vents through the fascia boards with the front of the vent FACING DOWN to the ground (as opposed to facing the garden as every other vent does) . He thinks it's a great solution. Is it? Surely the wet air will just end up getting blown back down the pipe. I'm also a bit nervous about this flexible pipe winnowing around.
The alternative is to relocate the extractor onto the rear of the lovely old early victorian house. He says he has to do it on a ladder so can't get a nice air brick - he'd have to use some kind of tacky white extractor - I'm in a conversation area.
Any ideas please!.

Reaction score
Hiya
builder put bathroom extractor venting directly into my victorian wooden loft, in violation of building controls. this is now being fixed. however the builder wants to vent through the loft into a flexible pipe that travels 1.2 meters and then vents through the fascia boards with the front of the vent FACING DOWN to the ground (as opposed to facing the garden as every other vent does) . He thinks it's a great solution. Is it? Surely the wet air will just end up getting blown back down the pipe. I'm also a bit nervous about this flexible pipe winnowing around.
The alternative is to relocate the extractor onto the rear of the lovely old early victorian house. He says he has to do it on a ladder so can't get a nice air brick - he'd have to use some kind of tacky white extractor - I'm in a conversation area.
Any ideas please!.
If this clown did something in violation of code, I wouldn’t let him touch anything. I would report him to the proper permitting authorities and see if you have any legal recourse. If you are stuck with him doing the work, pay for a licensed home inspector to do a follow up inspection.

Ask a Question