B&Q Ceiling Fan/Light Wiring

Reaction score
I know that this topic has been raised before in various ways but having read the previous ones they are not the same as my situation and I have been unable to glean what is required although have attempted variations.

This model is the Manley model, but that is not relevant as it still has the same useless wiring diagram.

The fixture's wiring connection has a 4 wire block with a 5th noted as Loop, noted as below

Supply x-x Fan Motor

1) Switched Live x-x Brown (L)
2) Black or Blue (Neutral) x-x Blue (N)
3) Switched Live x-x Red (Light)
4) Green/Yellow (Earth) x-x Green/Yellow

5) Loop x-x Loop

Obviously the Fan Motor side is straight forward as the fitting matches the notes. Also Earth is an no-brainer. It's the supply side that is giving me trouble.

In removing the old standard rose, I made careful note of connections. I have 3 feeds for each of the 3 Live/Neutral/Earth (Red/Black/GY)

Ignoring the straight forward Earth, all of the red wires were in the same block so I presume are the "Loop". I, therefore, kept these in a seperate 5th connector as the loop.

The Brown/Live pendant feed had a single black connection (let's call it Black A), and the Blue/Neutral Feed had the other two black connectors( let's call them Black B & C). There are three other lights on the same circuit.

I connected Black A to connection 3 (Red Light)

I initially connected Black B to connection 2N and Black C to 1L. This way around the neither the fan or the light worked and 2 out of the 3 other lights on the circuit didn't work either.

Connecting both Black B&C to connection 2N means that the light works but the fan doesn't. Plus all lights on the circuit work. This is how it has been left, so I have a fan/light fitting with no working fan.

Variations I have tried which also didn't work include, connecting the red loop leads to connection 1L and (not at the same time) connecting Black A to connection 1L.

I am now at a loss.

Please Help :confused:

Reaction score
I must confess I had difficulty understanding the wiring details of your post, so I can only give general advice.

A ceiling light fitting these days usually has 3 cables above - Feed in, from previous fitting; Feed out to next fitting; Feed to/from light switch. All the red Live wires will be commoned, as will the earths, and two Neutrals (Feed in and Feed Out) together with the Neutral (blue?) of the light itself. The return live from your wall switch (generally black) is connected to the live (brown?) terminal of the light, and no other wire shares this connection.

A light/fan unit for a bathroom (as I assume you have) has Earth, Live and Neutral, plus a Switched Live to activate the light - and the fan, via a control timer. This timer ensures that the fan runs a few minutes more after the light is turned off.

The Live and Neutral (and the earth) of the fan/light unit would normally be connected to the same connections on the Feed In/Feed Out cables, and the Switched Live of the fan / light unit would connect to the return wire from the wall switch which powered the previous light fitting. The 'Loop' terminal has no purpose for the fan unit but is there in case you need a spare terminal to join external wires. (This is commonly called a Looping Terminal).

I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hi Canalman

Thanks for the response. You have confirmed things that I suspected from a common sense perspective on the three cables. However, I am not talking about a bathroom extractor fan, but rather a ceiling fan incorporating a light fitting.

This is the one that I have: "Manley Ceiling Fan Light in Satin Nickel" available from Litecraft (sorry tried to post an image link but as a newbie I don't have that authority yet)

But all of the B&Q range have this daft wiring. I'm glad that the given wiring plan was not clear to someone more experienced as it's dead confusing to me. I'll try and find an image of the given wiring diagram for confirmation, or scan it myself.

So unfortunately your most welcome general comments haven't moved me forward any further.

TAB

Reaction score
Black A to 1L and then add a link wire between terminals 1 and 3
Blacks B&C to 2N
Earth to earth (the easy bit)
All the reds to 5 (LOOP)

The reason for the two switched lives in the fanlight (ie terminals 1 &3) are so if the house wiring allows it (not in your case) then the fan and light can be switch seperately from a double lightswitch.

TAB

Reaction score
Thanks

Tab

Meant to come back before and say thanks. Obvious when pointed out and that worked a treat

Cheers :D

Ask a Question