Advice on Velux windows and low pitch roofs.

Reaction score
Hello, I live in a bungalow with a low pitched roof. I would estimate the pitch at 11 or 12 degrees. I t has 3 Velux windows in the south facing side of the roof. When I removed some wallpaper in the shower room I noticed staining on the wall below the bottom corner of the Velux and approx halfway down the side of the Velux. Strange thing was the stains did not affect the wallpaper, the stains were behind the wallpaper as though they’d come thro the plasterboard sheet. I had a roofer come to take a look and his first comment was “ there's not much pitch on these roofs”. Anyway he removed a few tiles and his diagnosis was perhaps driven rain was getting under the roof tiles down the edge of the Velux and also he thought that the tile overlap was not really sufficient for the pitch of the roof. I have not had issues with leaks from the roof other than this Velux. So he is going to return to put some lead flashing down the problem side of the Velux. But my question , having had a think is -
I know the Velux system is intended to be used dry without sealants but has anyone used sealants around a to help seal problem areas. ..? Or does anyone know if it would be possible to fit the dry verge covers intended for the edge of the roof down the tile edge adjacent to the Velux ?
PS .I know the recommended minimum pitch for elucidate is 15 degrees but several of my neighbours with same pitched roofs have Velux fitted. Any advice or info appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have installed a non Velux brand roof window in my house and if I were you I would remove the window from the frame and check that the tiles overlap correctly. I had to purchase some tile and a halves to achieve enough overlap. I wouldn't go down the route of using sealant to try to fix it. The most important thing to sort out is that the roof has no obstacles preventing the water from exiting the window as these windows are not submarine water tight. Hope this helps

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I have a roofing question about a 1971 single wide with a 24'x24' tagalong. I have the old curved roof with the living room being 12' wide with a height of 12" at the peak of the curve. The tagalong is behind that with a 24'x24' curve that is 18" high. I would like to extend that section of roof forward to create a 24' wide living room. The roof currently has a old metal roof over that needs removed. How do I recreate trusses that would match the 24'x24' roof? Do I have to remove the roof over the existing living room and bring it forward? Thinking TPO

Ask a Question