Advice on radiator valves

Reaction score
Hi , I put a similar thread on the plumbing forum not realising there was a central heating forum. Basically can anyone tell f the valve in the picture can be used to isolate the rad. The rad does not have any TRV on it just a manual screw down lock shield on the other side. On this one cannot see anything to turn to shut off water. Have searched web but can’t find any info on it.
it. 434EEFF7-9A82-43A1-B991-77A2219E0760.jpeg 7E8506EE-4FAA-404C-9099-284EDC72BC5C.jpeg

Reaction score
Hi thanks for your interest . The chrome cap pulls off but does not reveal anything there i# nothing
like a spindle that can be turned. if you look down the hole it looks to be brass or bronze colour and appears slightly damp. On the inside of the chrome cover is a small rubber disc. I cannot find any description of this device , don’t know if it’s some sort of pressure relief device? Just seems strange that the 2 different “valves” are sold as a pair and this one can’t be isolated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK - looks like what you've got is just the valve body, with no head.

You should be able to easily buy a TRV head to go on it.

1609075458796.png

It was probably always the intention of the maker that the head be purchased separately.

Or whoever installed yours didn't bother to fit the head. Just like they didn't bother to keep the part like this:

1609075704011.png

Your best bet would be to take your photos into a plumber's merchant to find what bits you need to buy - I don't know how interchangeable the pin components are.

Worst case it'll be drain the system down and fit a new valve. Bit of a pain, but only a couple of hours work. Don't forget to replenish the inhibitor.

Ask a Question