Adding windows to a small porch

Reaction score
I want to seal off our small front porch with windows, mostly to create a kitty-lock (if they escape the front door, the porch door will prevent them from making it to the street)
1. It must look classy. We don't want just screens or big plastic panes
2. The existing half-wall reduces the area needing windowing, but it makes for two narrow sections that I fear will be hard to fit
3. The new door will take a bit of the space (it's a small porch) if it swings in, but the aforementioned half-wall has a wide shelf-top which makes it hard to mount the new door swinging out. Also, it opens onto stairs, and having to step down to open the new door would be awkward
4. We rent. Ideally, the windows and door would go on with minimally invasive tracks to facilitate easy removal
5. I'm good with tools, but inexperienced with windows. We have a budget of $1,000, maybe a little more

Suggestions?

Thanks

Reaction score
I want to seal off our small front porch with windows, mostly to create a kitty-lock (if they escape the front door, the porch door will prevent them from making it to the street)
1. It must look classy. We don't want just screens or big plastic panes
2. The existing half-wall reduces the area needing windowing, but it makes for two narrow sections that I fear will be hard to fit
3. The new door will take a bit of the space (it's a small porch) if it swings in, but the aforementioned half-wall has a wide shelf-top which makes it hard to mount the new door swinging out. Also, it opens onto stairs, and having to step down to open the new door would be awkward
4. We rent. Ideally, the windows and door would go on with minimally invasive tracks to facilitate easy removal
5. I'm good with tools, but inexperienced with windows. We have a budget of $1,000, maybe a little more

Suggestions?

Thanks

Hi and welcome!

It would be easier to suggest something, if you could provide some photos.

Reaction score
I would use removable frames, where screens or glass could be placed by season. Made of wood, the screen and a single sheet of glass are not particularly expensive, though you might want to consider acrylic for safety code reasons.

Reaction score
I would use removable frames, where screens or glass could be placed by season. Made of wood, the screen and a single sheet of glass are not particularly expensive, though you might want to consider acrylic for safety code reasons.
Have you heard anything about the new Armstrong framing system?

Ask a Question