Adding deck to Mobile Home

Reaction score
I have purchased a new mobile home and plan on putting a full deck around the front and side of the home. I am planning on getting a book on how to build decks, as some have recommended. (I have some basic carpentry skills, but would like to do it right.) Other than that, what are some suggestions? The home is 72'x28' and I would like large stairs on one corner and a whell chair accesible ramp on the back side.
Thank you

Reaction score
The deck will have to be free standing and can not be attached to the trailer. Make sure you check with your local building department for specific requirements. None of the deck books currently out there show you how to build a deck that complies to the current building codes (We are currently on the 2012 IRC). Follow this link for the prescriptive residential deck construction guide. Remember this is based on the model code but your locality may have more stringent requirements.

http://www.awc.org/codes-standards/publications/dca6

Reaction score
There are loads of deck plans and tutorials that you can download free from the internet. Google deck plans.

Reaction score
Marc, I supplied the op with the dca6 which is compliant with the 2012 irc deck codes. This plan can be submitted directly to the building department when applying for permits. Any other plan submitted is subject to review and may require the approval and stamp of an engineer. Engineering fees can get quite costly. Using random plans downloaded from the internet is a gamble at best. Tutorials may be helpful but there is a lot of incorrect techniques demonstrated on the internet as well. If one is going to view tutorials it would be wise to view tutorials from product manufactures such as Simpson strong tie or trade related publication groups such as Hanley Wood (deck builder magazine, JLC, Fine home building, etc.).

Ask a Question