2-Stroke Stalling

Reaction score
I have got a 2-stroke hedge trimmer. It initially ran fine, after a while though it would start to slow down and eventually stop if held on full throttle. If I release the throttle as it starts to slow then in does pick up again. I finished the hedge by holding the throttle part way - not ideal when trying to maneuver the thing about.

Is something badly adjusted? Is the fuel mix wrong? (I used 40:1 as suggested in the manual I found online)

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hi, Andrew F
I'll put both you're posts together. DIY repairs to power tools are rarely successful, and on the grounds of safety, not recommended.

I would advise that power tools should be only repaired by the service agents recommended by the manufactures. If these tools are past their best, and not worth the cost of repair, As I suspect is the case, then dump them.

Safety first !

Reaction score
Some 2 stroke trimmers,chainsaws have wire screens between the muffler and the body
of the engine. That screen (spark suppressor) can become plugged with carbon and choke off the exhaust to the
point of killing the engine. The screens can be brushed off with a wire brush and installed back in
the trimmer. Hopefully this is your problem.

Larry

Ask a Question