Zigzag or two flipped 45s in a drain line. Is this OK?

Fee

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a sink drain line that has two 45 flipped to create a zigzag angle before empty into the main line. Is this an appropriate angle to have in a drain line? I need just the slight angle and it is a tight situation so I am trying to figure out my best plan. Of course proper slope is taken into consideration as well.

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 11.41.11 AM.png

Fee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Correct. This would be the end of the drain after leaving the sink trap.

Reaction score
Why is there a need for the offset? Is there an obstruction that prevents hooking the horizontal pipe directly to the vertical pipe? The fewer joints, the less chance for future leaks.

Fee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, sorry my illustration isn't great. Basically the horizontal pip runs along the foundation wall. It takes a 90 down, still along the foundation wall. The zigzag would actually be coming out from the foundation wall towards a horizontal pipe that it would need to connect into. So limited space between the foundation wall and the horizontal pipe, which is why I need just the smaller zigzag offset angle to connect the two.

Another option probably could be this. The horizontal pip would run along the foundation past the stud, take a 45 angle away from the foundation and then continue horizontal. Then it would just take a 90 sweep down to the horizontal pipe. This is a 1-1/4" PVC DWV pipe as well.

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 11.29.14 AM.png

Fee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Instead of relying on confusing illustration, it is probably easier to actually look at the real thing! Thanks again for your thoughts.

This would be my second option that I last posted, although I feel like my first idea is a better one. That ball valve would be moved higher and out of the way, so that isn't an issue. The 45s going down connect directly into the vertical pipe.

IMG_0050 copy.jpg

Here is an image of my original idea. I wasn't sure if the 90 circled would work or if two 45s would give a better angle. After the circled joint, there are two 45s leading to the vertical pipe.

IMG_0051 copy.jpg

Attachments