Woodworm and wet rot? in garden shed

Reaction score
Was going to repaint the door and surround of my stone wall/slated-roof garden shed but when I started to do prep work I noticed the fascia above the door was splitting in a couple of places and had quite a few woodworm exit holes and a few in the lintel (pic 1). I then noticed there was loads of exit holes in the lintel surface on the inside of the shed (pic 2)and that when I exposed the end of the lintel outside it looked like it had rotted through rain penetration and maybe woodworm too (pic3). No idea how long things have been like that, it could have been years.

If it was part of my house rather than at the end of my garden i'd get a builder in to replace all affected wood but as it's just a shed that seems OTT expensive so I'm thinking DIY. The surfaces with exit holes are all painted so I gather the wood can't be treated with woodworm killer and the lintel seems quite sturdy despite the visible damage. I have very ltd diy ability and my thoughts are to use wood hardener on the rotted lintel end, put filler in the split fascia and fill the void around the exposed lintel end with mortar. I just wondered what others would do in the same situation.

Ask a Question