Wood beam staining issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm currently redecorating a bedroom in a chalet bungalow which has an exposed roof beam.
The previous owners cladded this beam with what looks like skirting board to make it look authentic (it looks better than it sounds)...
I need to restain this wood (looks/feels like pine) and following a good sanding I used wood filler to fill various holes and damage. I didn't think much about it at the time as I knew nothing about wood staining (first mistake) however following research I'm worried the white filler is going to look very obvious when I stain over it (assuming the stain will cover over it?)
Has anyone got similar experience and could provide advice on what else to consider before I brush on the stain?

Re the attached image, I do plan to sand the excess filler and paint marks before I attempt any staining!

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, it looks like you’ve filled the holes with a white, two part wood filler. Once rubbed down the filler will remain visibly white and will be lighter to look at once the whole beam is stained. You have options: 1. carefully rake out/remove the filler and replace with either, pine coloured two part wood filler, or the traditional filler of choice (historically) linseed putty. 2. Rub down the existing filler and use a small artists brush to spot prime with the wood stain just the visible filler, and not any surrounding wood either once or twice. This will darken the filler, enabling it to blend in once you put the two coats of wood stain on the entire beam. Hope this makes sense, contact me if there are any questions

Reaction score
I second the idea of touching up the filler. I have never had luck staining any filler. Just a thought,,,,,,find some nail polish that is close and maybe dab it with a qtip or paper towel to blend it??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Try it on some scrap first - it's a completely different substance to woodstain (or any other wood treatment), different solvent etc, and the two might not work together at all.

Ask a Question