Wiring help please

Reaction score
Trying to impress my girlfriend I thought I'd buy some spotlights from homebase . Everyone told me they are easy to fit. When I removed the old ceiling rose and disconnected the wires I was left with 3 mains cables coming from the ceiling. Each cable had a black(N), red(L) and an yellow/green(E). In one of the cables the black wire had a small red collar on (I believe) this is the switch. The earth in each cable is connected to one middle cable. I am now left with 3 red wires and 3 black wires(one with red band) and one earth. How do I connect thes wires to my recently bought shop spotlight which only has 3 openings on the terminal block.

Hope this makes sense, I would appreciate any help you can give me, thanks

Reaction score
the 3 reds are your lives (L) the 2 blacks with nothing on are your neutrals (N) the black with the red collar is your switch line. the 3 reds will go in 1 terminal the 2 blacks in another together. i would think that your 3 reds would not go int the fitting just put them in a conector block and shove em in the ceiling. the black with the red will be your (L) your blacks (N) and your earth (E)

Ask a Question