Windowsill Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help understand what is happening with a windowsill that has bubbled up.

A few days ago I noticed the paint had raised up in several places on a bedroom windowsill and that it was squishy to the touch. I assumed this was as a result of the heat as it gets direct sunlight and that there would just be wood underneath, probably requiring some sanding and a new coat of pain.

When I scratched the paint off however it revealed some kind of insulation which I wasn't expecting. Does anyone know if this is normal? I assumed the windowsill was just painted wood so I'm not sure what to do about getting this repaired now. Would it be normal to have a layer of insulation on a windowsill board?

Many thanks in advance,

M

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's not insulation - the window board is made of MDF, which has got wet, and swollen/disintegrated like that.

Can't be repaired.

You could try cutting the damaged section away, and letting in a new piece,but you'll probably always be able to see the join.

Best option is to replace the whole board with a new one (could use oiled pine to match the window), or for a quick job fit a piece of UPVC profile (cill board, fascia cover - anything you can find that's the right size) over the top.

1658503440397.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That is very good to know - thank you.

I was totally baffled by how this had happened, then realised to my horror that there was a glass spherical clock that I must have put on the windowsill some time ago. I think the sun had gone straight through it, magnified and heated the sill right up so I was extremely lucky this didn't cause a fire.

Valuable lesson there and I'll try and sand it down / fill it first before I replace.

Thanks for your help,

M

Ask a Question