Why is my heating on please.

Reaction score
My thermostat is on 0...but upstairs bedroom radiators are on, im boiling hot what can I do and why are they on.
I can't turn my boiler off as I need it for hot water.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Likely a failed zone valve. Heating valves always fail OPEN, that is, to the heating position (so they permit the hot water loop to recirculate).

Until you get a HVAC tech, I'd try turning your hot water valve off until you need to shower. This will stop the recirc of hot water to the radiators, thus loose their heat. Boiler should stop heating and maintain it's internal water temp only until the recirc starts again. Your shower may not be "steamy hot", rather luke warm, so shower quick.

Reaction score
Likely a failed zone valve. Heating valves always fail OPEN, that is, to the heating position (so they permit the hot water loop to recirculate).

Until you get a HVAC tech, I'd try turning your hot water valve off until you need to shower. This will stop the recirc of hot water to the radiators, thus loose their heat. Boiler should stop heating and maintain it's internal water temp only until the recirc starts again. Your shower may not be "steamy hot", rather luke warm, so shower quick.

Reaction score
Thank you for replying....I ended up switching off the whole boiler until intil the next day....once switched back on the radiators stayed cold thankfully.
Is it OK to leave alone now or will I still been the boiler looked at?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Oh, well, if the radiators stayed cool upon re-firing the boiler, leave it that way and see. As a technician, even if I were visiting your home to repair this...it's all I'd suggest for now. Until the problem manifests itself again, there is nothing for us to find! You might have an intermittent weak recirc valve that is getting "stuck open" when the thermostat is not calling for heat. In any case, I'd leave it and see.

Are you in a warmer climate in the US somewhere?

Reaction score
Nowhere enough information to go on.
If it's anything like a Honeywell Y-Plan, it could be anything like the motorised valve or the room thermostat.
Basic bimetallic thermostats (hear them click), are pretty robust, but do fail.
Cheap to replace.
The motorised valve controls the boiler and the thermostats, room and hot water cylinder, control the motorised valve.
In any case, you'd be best getting it checked.
If it went wrong once, it'll do it again.

Ask a Question