What is this exactly

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.
It could be anything, but as it looks like a piece of plywood which fits into a purpose made frame in the floorboards. It's likely that it could be expected to be taken out occasionally. It could be if it's on the ground floor, just the access to the crawl space under the floorboards.
Why not take up and have a look?

Reaction score
The concrete area nearest the camera is an old fire place hearth, with "typical" timber framing around it.

Probably at one time a fireplace in a Bedroom???

As for the light coloured material? is it Plywood? cannot quite make out what it is??

The nail and screw heads appear to have rusted? may be an indication of some sort of a damp issue?

Reaction score
Could be anything.
I quite like the fireplace idea, but why the fancy painted shape?
Plus some dodgy looking wiring.
I can see it's low voltage, but cables and carpet Smoothedge don't mix.
That floor is crying out for nice thin ply overlay.
An awful lot of drafts come up through floorboards, especially around the skirting board.
I also like to add a covering of metallised film for a bit of insulation and moisture barrier.
Space blankets are the cheapest source.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could be anything.
I quite like the fireplace idea, but why the fancy painted shape?
Do you mean the surround of the concrete? It would have shown when there was a fire there, so they finished the floor neatly.

The light coloured section isn't painted, it's replacement flooring. I can see how a board needed replacing if there was a gas pipe under it.

But IHNI what the rectangular area is all about - should definitely be lifted for inspection underneath.

Ask a Question