What is the return on my investment if I spend the money to replace my current system?

Reaction score
I live in a house, in southeast Iowa, that started as an old farm home with a large addition that was added in the late/early eighties. There is no ductwork in the home and we use all electric to heat and cool the house. Right now it is cooled in the summer by window units and a wall unit. It is heated in the winter in some rooms by base board heating, in some rooms radiant heated wires plastered in the ceiling and in one room a heating unit that runs the length of the ceiling. I have never lived in a ductless home and I believe this has got to be pretty antiquated and inefficient. It works but our energy bills are high.

I have had a couple local HVAC people come out and give me some estimates on how I could heat and cool my home. And I have called my electric company but the problem is no one will tell me what is the most cost and energy efficient way to heat and cool my home. I just want to get a ball park idea as to how long it would take for me see a return on my investment if I spent the money to replace my current system with something new and more efficient. Maybe a ball park estimate on how much I would save each year.

Why is this a hard question? If it’s a legitimate question, do you know who I would talk to, to get an answer. Thanks in advance for your help.

Irv

Reaction score
It's a hard question to answer because it's an old farm home with addition in the eighties.

Nobody, without sending an inspector to do some in-depth snooping, which will probably include an infrared scan, can know what insulation exists, how "air tight" (not) the building is, or what effect your own individual preferences and activities would have. Such services are available, for perhaps a few hundred dollars.

As a general principle, heat pumps are going to be more economical than the plain resistance heating you have now.

Ask a Question