What is a FOB?

Reaction score
Since no one replied so far, I'll guess. I guess it is a poorly thought out system so people don't hide keys on their cars. I guess because I can not figure out how to hide a key on the car, start it, etc. without the fob. I guess I have to pay well in excess of 300 to get another fob to hide by removing the battery, but I am not sure that would work.
Also, how could the simple act of locking a car go from a few dollars to a few hundred? Did a team of designers feel like it was such a big deal they had to push it through.
Who are these people that came up with the fob design? Who are these people that seem to be trying to push poorly designed stuff just to make money? Are they members of the 1500000 million millionaires in the US? How do they have the power to do this stuff?

Last edited:
Reaction score
A key fob is a small electronic security device with built-in authentication protocols or mechanisms to allow whoever possesses it to enter a secured network or location in order to access data or services. A key fob is designed to be small so that it can be carried around inconspicuously just like a key chain, hence the name key fob.

Reaction score
I don't think Jim was asking what a key-fob was, I suspect he was asking in relation to the original post :)

Reaction score
Ah! for the days of my old Mk 3 Cortina. If ever I was parked in a dodgy area I'd remove the rotor arm. I've a friend with a classic E-type Jag. He still does the same, anywhere!

Reaction score
Actually it also means “Free on Board”. This is a statute regarding the point at which a buyer takes possession and responsibility for a purchased item from the seller. This may sound inconsequential but in cases such as freighters where there are millions of dollars at stake, it is a big deal.

Ask a Question