"What I Thought Was.."

Reaction score
Is a phrase I dread hearing from my wife. She has no idea of the implications such a request can have.

But many retired men of my age have over time, learned all sorts of skills, as a case of financial necessity when we were much younger. They are no longer really required as we can, "get a man in," but that can bring it's own problems.

At the end of last year she decided she wanted another cupboard next to the one below on the small breakfast bar that's rarely used.

"I don't need a glass door."

P1050569.JPG

The kitchen is fourteen years old. I did everything except fit the units. The firm that fitted them went bust ten years ago.

It was a case finding a firm who could make the door and drawer fronts, with the same profile and colour and some matching pelmet.
Then box in over the top.
Getting a wood yard to cut the laminate wasn't a problem and I did have some spare handles I'd hung on to, left by the kitchen fitters.

"It's not a big job."

I reluctantly agreed.

P1050595.JPG

P1050611.JPG

To be fair, it really wasn't a big job (but never let on).

Four years ago we went from from this.

P1000078.JPG

To this, when when we had a new combi boiler.

P1000773.JPG

She thought she'd get a new kitchen, I had different ideas, I made this.

No new kitchen, but a new fridge/freezer, as the old one packed up whilst I was doing the job.

P1050633.JPG

I had to make a new tiled removable "L shaped" fillet, re-using the tiles I soaked off the old one, plus a few spares I had and make the bit of pelmet below the boiler removable, as the front of the boiler has to swing down for servicing.
I made her a thin cupboard for the appliance instruction books she can never find.

P1000963.JPG

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Curry's arrived around half-eight this morning.
I had the oven unpacked, installed, connected and clock set by 9.00am. without taking any lumps out of our now 18 year-old kitchen units.

I read no further than, "How to set the clock in the instructions, as it's not my department."
There's just two push in/pop out controls and the clock/timer is touch control, it's pretty basic, with seven functions as was the Baumatic

I'm glad I got it done early before it got warm.
Just got to register the two year guarantee on line.

P1060024.JPG

Reaction score
We had a laugh last night.

In this age of 'elf n' safety, I'm often surprised at how stupid the public have to be perceived by manufacturers, to protect themselves.
She read me a bit of the instructions for the "first use" which is always the same.
"Take everything out, wash it, wipe out the oven, heat it up for an hour let it cool down, wipe it out again and put everything back."

"To turn on the oven, position the selector switch to any position, except off."

Really?

• Haha
Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question