Washing Machine repair thoughts?

Reaction score
Hi All,

It had to happen, quite old Kenmore (LLR 6233AW0) upright washing machine, the agitator has stopped agitating. It gave about two minutes of light clunking noises then stopped shuffling around. It spins by hand with a click in CW-direction.

On a very tight retirement income so money is an issue, but I am pretty handy at fixing things, so...

I am guessing a stripped gear in the gearbox or a worn reciprocating-link somewhere. At this point I am not sure how the thing works. Can someone who knows the mechanics of these things tell me.

How likely is this to be a big tear down job?

I need to balance the replacement cost with the repair effort as I am old and not good at crawling around on the concrete floor in hands and knees for too long. :)

Thanks

Reaction score
'sok, can answer my own question. Found a kit online for the agitator, the bottom part is still going strong so I have ordered the repair kit.

Not sure if it is OK to mention, but Mods can remove if not, but http://www.repairclinic.com/ have the kit for 20-bucks shipped. They also had an exploded drawing of the agitator assembly, so I can see what/where to do. I already have the agitator-top off waiting for parts kit to arrive. Obviously a common issue but not bad for what I think is probably a 30+ year-old washer.

They don't make them now, like they used to. :)

Reaction score
That's actually a pretty sweet site. I don't think the admins will mind.

Reaction score
Not sure what parts you ordered, but just out of curiosity was it the 4 little plastic cogs that drop down in top of the agitator assembly ?
'sok, can answer my own question. Found a kit online for the agitator, the bottom part is still going strong so I have ordered the repair kit.

Not sure if it is OK to mention, but Mods can remove if not, but http://www.repairclinic.com/ have the kit for 20-bucks shipped. They also had an exploded drawing of the agitator assembly, so I can see what/where to do. I already have the agitator-top off waiting for parts kit to arrive. Obviously a common issue but not bad for what I think is probably a 30+ year-old washer.

They don't make them now, like they used to. :)
as

Ask a Question