Wet Bath Sealant

Reaction score
Hi,
I came home the other night to leaky shower had been dripping on to one of the taps and splashing into the corner - resulting in small pool of water and wet crumbed sealant in corner (see picture) i have dried out and cant see any obvious damage under the bath of what i can see of plasterboard other than stuff that looks very old.
When removing sealant should i replace straight away or leave gap to dry out
Thanks

Attachments

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It may be worth cutting/remove the sealant as it looks like it's lifting and has gone mouldy, airing the space for a little while if it looks wet underneath, then re-sealing it. If it looks dry once removed, there's no need to wait before re-sealing.

FWIW, I've always found these sealant finishing tools make for a really neat job:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unibond-1582528-UniBond-Sealant-Finishing/dp/B001DZTYG2

Reaction score
Thanks for the Info
I noticed it Monday, getting it cut out tomorrow morning and patched up then resealed

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
The best bet with this is to completely remove the sealant for some distance from the corner. A new utility knife blade will do this. There are many sealants available now and not all are silicone. Silicone sealants cure to a distinctly rubbery form whereas the "modified" silicones don't feel the same. It's just that I wouldn't be confident mixing the two.
The modified silicones will cure on wet surfaces, but I would recommend a thorough dry with a paper towel. Also use a paper towel to see if water squeezes out from any of the other sections of the seal.
If you go for silicone, get a sanitary grade to help prevent the mold staining.
If the bath has a curved edge, try and get the new silicone well squeezed into the gap.
For a neat job, mask off the the area. Sealant tools do work but can spread a thin film that later on will lift.
Seals don't last for ever, especially if "scrubbed". Sometimes it's better and easier to replace it completely.
You can get self-adhesive corner seals, but in my experience they don't work.

Ask a Question