Water getting in

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having a number of problems with the main window in my living room. It is single glazed and every time it rains heavily the water gets in and runs down the wall. Is getting really annoying. I've used a number of puttys and sealants but nothing seems to worth for long enough. Does anyone have any advice on what would be good to use here?

Reaction score
Hi Mr Tile.

Where exactly is the window leaking, Is this a wooden window with traditional glazing ?
Perhaps you could post a photo.

Reaction score
It's a wooden frame and single pane. I don't want to replace the windows just yet as will be rebuilding in the next few years but it causes a problem when there is heavy rain.

Window is leaking at bottom. It's just drops of water but it can go on for hours so as you can imagine quite a lot of water comes through. Just want to get an idea of what might work well to stop it. Any particular adhesive or filler? I will try and get a photo taken and upload.

Reaction score
Without any more info, and assuming it's not going to be worth a major repair and repaint from the outside, if the leak is around the glass, how about sealing the inside.

You could use a clear silicone sealant. Remove any loose paint, and clean the surfaces really well, wipe over with meths, and a nice neat bead of sealer would probably do the trick until the window is replaced.

Reaction score
I would remove the glass tidy up the exposed frame apply a bead of clear silicone to the rebate , press the glass onto the silicone, and re putty.

Ask a Question