Venting an AC compressor exhaust

Reaction score
The AC compressor for my house is a top vented model, but the air doesn't really move up. It moves more horizontally, and it blows very hot air onto the side of the house. I would like to either duct that air further up and away, or simply deflect it away. I haven't found any pre-made round ducting that seems big enough or would last through a couple rain spells.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Has the fan motor been replaced ?

Is the unit three phase . Most residental systems are single phase .

Warm / hot air naturally wants to rise . All the units I have seen vent the air up .

God bless
Wyr

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. The unit is about 10 years old, but gets serviced regularly. It's an "upright unit, with the fan at the top, but the fan blades don't so much push the air up in a column but rather more horizontally in all directions. I assume it's because of the shape of the fan blades, but I'm not skilled in airflow engineering

As a temporary fix, I have placed a plywood board against the house and leaned it against the compressor unit. The angle, only about 10 degrees, prevents the board from interfering with the unit's air intake and deflects the exhaust more upward and away from the house.

Reaction score
Photo , please .

Has the fan motor been replaced ? These motors can be wired to rotate either direction . If it has been replaced , there is a chance it & the fan are rotation backwards .

It could have been wrong from the factory . Though not real likely .

Is the condenser three phase ? Most home / residental units are single phase .

God bless
Wyr

Ask a Question