Tub Drain Leak Repair

Reaction score
2nd story tub (30 years old) is now causing the living room ceiling to swell from wetness.
Is the only way to repair this to cut-out the living room ceiling and replace the P-trap and other drain pipes ?
Or can the tub be pulled out and the repairs made from the bathroom ?

Reaction score
Now I see the problem...it is an old pumpkin trap that is failing / leaking.
What's the fix ? A P-Trap ?

Reaction score
Yes. Depending on what size and kind of pipe your tying onto I'll guess it's 1-1/2 copper drain. You would need an 1-1/2 copper by 1-1/2 pvc mission band coupling, and 1-1/2 pvc glue trap, hopefully an 1-1/2 slip joint adapter to connect just below the t fitting that connects the tub drawing and overflow...and of course a piece of 1-1/2 pvc, glue and primer. It's always easiest to assemble in a certain order so you don't get stuck between two fixed positions, ide glue the u bend portion of the trap on last so your just pushing straight up for the final connection.

Reaction score
Thanks for that Woodsy....interestingly, the local plumbing supply shop told me to keep the pumpkin/drum trap...and go with an all-copper replacement for the remaining components.
However, two contractors came up with estimates for a PVC replacement option.
I think the PVC option is best. The tricky part is removing the existing waste piece connected to the tub.
This is essentially what the supply shop recommended:
https://www.mccombssupply.com/35201...cW0kHWfYgaZWYGauFQt2mOasyMzhMukxoCgOsQAvD_BwE

Reaction score
Okay, I thought it was the trap itself leaking, not the existing waste and overflow....the one in the photo would be a little tough, I prefer the more affordable glue style waste and overflow with a standard 1 1/2 pvc T picking up the tub shoe and overflow, then there are no slip joint fittings. It's not very hard either way. The existing waste peice should come out very easily. Disconnect the over flow trim inside the tub and anything under the trim that may be holding it in place.... then use a "dumbbell" to extract the drain from the top, also two heavy duty screwdrivers can be used when inserted down into the drain holes in a cross pattern and spin the chrome top off, other than that, the drain connection into trap is the only other thing holding it place

Reaction score
Yep, that looks to be the best option. I'll still have to use an adapter to connect the PVC to the bronze drain pipe that is leading out of the drum trap.

Ask a Question