bathtub drain leak

Reaction score
Country
United States
i have a leak at the elbow of the drain. i think its the limescale/calcium bluish greenish buildup thats causing the problem but im not sure. i cleaned up it up the best i can. its hard to reach,i would have to cut some drywall in the basement to fully access it. the tub is upstairs. i made the mistake of putting water weld around it but that didnt work.

if i were to cut the drywall, would i be able to remove tha wastepipe/tail piece from the elbow to clean it or is that permenatly attached. option 2 would be to replace the tailpiece and elbow with pvc which oesnt build up and leak that much i heard. is there any option where i dont have to cut the drywall

i was also wondering if me using bleach to kill tub mold could cause the leak, i flush with water afterwards. i heard its ok as long as u diltue it. what are the causes of leaks?

IMG_20220423_213516(1).jpg
IMG_20220425_015153(1).jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If you want a temporary fix (for the symptoms, not a remedy to the cause), this is what I've done in the past. Put a small cookie sheet (with a few sponges laying in it) on the backside of the ceiling, directly below the leak. You might find the water drips when the tub is in use, and then evaporates at night. I've actually seen commercial facilities do that and leave it that way!

Ask a Question