Trusting engineering plans

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All,

I am working with a structural engineer to develop plans for vaulting the ceiling on half of my house, and I am wondering how much I can rely on their plans for construction. My main reason fro my concern is that when they did a site visit, they looked in the attic but did not crawl around and look at how everything was put together. I have been up there and seen some of the questionable framing decisions made by previous owners. Should the engineers have done this too? Are their plans missing something significant that I will have to deal with (i.e. pay extra for) once we start the construction process?

Here is some background: The house was built in 1948, is a single story, stick frame, does not have engineered roof trusses, and has a 3:12 roof. Also, the engineers are ridiculously hard to get a hold of, and essentially won't talk on the phone because they are so busy. Email communication is spotty at best.

Any advice would be great, especially because I am still waiting to pay them until I get this sorted out.

Thank you!

Ask a Question