Tripped breaker... find the short

Reaction score
I have a tripped breaker for my master bedroom and bathroom that will not reset. When you try to flip to the on position, it immediately trips. Nothing is plugged into the outlets. All GFI outlets are on a separate circuit. All switches to fixtures (lights, fans, etc..) have one wire removed. I tried the divide and conquer technique with the outlets until I had almost all of them disconnected and it always trips. I tried replacing the circuit breaker but had the same result. Is there anything I am missing? Any ideas on what I can try next?

Reaction score
Well, GFCI receptacles can fail in exactly the way you describe. I would disconnect all of the GFCI receptacles on this circuit from the "Line" side, then retest the breaker.

Reaction score
Well, GFCI receptacles can fail in exactly the way you describe. I would disconnect all of the GFCI receptacles on this circuit from the "Line" side, then retest the breaker.
maybe a screw or nail through the wire likely before the first outlet or fixture you disconnected. That could cause the short if the screw /nail connected the live with either the neutral or the bare ground.

Ask a Question