Tripped breaker... find the short

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by scottdc, Jul 10, 2018.

1. scottdc

scottdc

I have a tripped breaker for my master bedroom and bathroom that will not reset. When you try to flip to the on position, it immediately trips. Nothing is plugged into the outlets. All GFI outlets are on a separate circuit. All switches to fixtures (lights, fans, etc..) have one wire removed. I tried the divide and conquer technique with the outlets until I had almost all of them disconnected and it always trips. I tried replacing the circuit breaker but had the same result. Is there anything I am missing? Any ideas on what I can try next?

scottdc, Jul 10, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. scottdc

Don Farrell

Well, GFCI receptacles can fail in exactly the way you describe. I would disconnect all of the GFCI receptacles on this circuit from the "Line" side, then retest the breaker.

Don Farrell, Jul 14, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. scottdc

Aaron1877

maybe a screw or nail through the wire likely before the first outlet or fixture you disconnected. That could cause the short if the screw /nail connected the live with either the neutral or the bare ground.

Aaron1877, Jul 19, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question