Tile shower floor coming loose

sbs

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a problem with a shower floor. Ceramic tile near the wall has come loose. The mortar under the tile has gaps and unless I fill in the holes with something I can't reattach the tiles.

What should I use to fill in the hole where the tile was?

Reaction score
Not quite sure what you mean.

If there's stiill bits of tile cement where the tile once was, it's easy enough to remove it by scraping it off with something sharp like a chisel. Make sure you also get any of the grout off, that's on the edges of the adjoining tiles. Then put some more beads of tile cement on it and press in the tile. Point it up when it's dry.

sbs

Reaction score
Country
United States
can tile cement fill in hole that is about 1 inch deep? some of the mortar came loose

Reaction score
A photo would help.

Get yourself a small bag of sand and cement mortar. Then make up enough to partly fill the hole so there's room for some tile cement. It needs to be of "sandcastle consistency," just damp or it will fall out as you apply it.
If it were just one tile, I'd partly fill the hole, let it go off and the next day use more mortar to fix the tile.

Use a straight piece of wood which will bridge three tiles to check that you've got it flush with the tiles around it when you're done.

Ask a Question